Saturday, March 28, 2009

This one's for you Jana

I told Janet I was going to hijack her blog for a single post. I needed a venue for my sarcastic sorrow after watching a player end his college basketball career a few nights ago. This guy was a key component in one my favorite sporting moments of recent memory. The precious little floor smacking devil of whom I speak is none other than Duke's Greg Paulus.



He's one of those guys that college bball broadcasters dream of...full of energy, coach's little buddy, no chance of playing professionally. They throw around terms like "cerebral", "gutty", "floor general", and "high school football player of the year" like people on The Batchelor incessantly rant with "connection", "amazing", "this journey", and "I'm actually falling in love." Sadly, Duke was crushed by Villanova in the NCAA tournament the other night, ending Greg's illustrious collegiate career.

The fantastic moment of which everyone's favorite "extension of the coach on the floor" was a part of was during the UNC-Duke game in March of 2008, at Cameron Indoor Student Bouncy Castle. Towards the end of the first half, Danny Green breaks away with a rebound and Paulus makes a gutty, cerebral move to stand in and take the inevitable charge that would certainly be called. No charge. Instead Paulus got...well....this:





I included the third, multi-frame photo experience because I liked it, and I thought it was funny that if you look close you can see Peyton Manning immediately to the left of Kyle Singler's hip. Poor Greg. I was watching that game live and remember how sweet it was. Even more sweet was that it was one more game in which UNC would beat Greg and his boyz on their home court. So sad.

Where to now? The NBA with your boy Boozer? People in Utah are down on the Booz because of his antics of late. I have maintained all along that the core of Boozer's problem set was the fact that he went to Duke. I mean really, who finger rolls and lays in that many close range shots in when you're that big? Dunk that crap. Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley...it all started with you. Thanks for the legacy. And please...if anyone here is an Orthodontist near Orlando, please call JJ Reddick and offer him some braces to straighten that junk out. I'm sure you have enough money for it homeslice.

So Jana...I used the box of tissues you sent to weep at Paulus' moving on...not to mourn UNC's dominating 101-87 victory at Cameron Indoor earlier this year as you were hoping. The dead give away on the non-descript, mysterious package I received in the mail was the 27713 zipcode you used to cap off your "101 Trail of Tears Drive, Chapel Hill, NC" pseudo-return address.

I now fully expect a tribute to Tyler "ward-ball" Hansbrough. He's all arms, elbows, unbridled mildly coordinated energy, rosy cheeks, and far too agressive open mouth heavy breathing like everyone else at the chapel gymnasium. All he needs to complete the persona is a couple knee-braces, rec-specs, and a position in the EQ presidency.

3 comments:

Janee said...

I'll hijack my wife's account and take the opportunity respond. I could not have said things better myself. I too weep at Grep Paulus' departure. The memories of Dickie V hyperventilating while expressing his admiration for the quintessential Blue Devil floor general will forever ring in my ears. All may not be lost David, just like the JJ's and the Hurley's before him, Paulus will pass down the floor slapping dance routine to Scheyer and McClure. The Tradition will continue. My favorite part about the mysterious box of tissues in the mail is that mine arrived a week after the Heels crushed the Dukes of Durham at the House of Bounce. Jana, if your going to talk smack, at least throw down for priority mail. Here's to Paulus: May you excel in the European Basketball League. Here's to Coach K: May you continue to have success recruiting castrated white boys that you can turn into you charge taking, floor slapping, hustle point grabbing college basketball stars. And here is to the Heels: May you enjoy the Road to the Final Four and another NCAA Championship.
- JMR

Kim C said...

I miss Janet . . .

Anonymous said...

To "Mr. Janet" - the only thing better than your entire opus to all that is Duke is the visual you left of the infamous "Blazer B...". As usual, you left the entire Rich family in laughter and then a little sorrow as you reminded us yet again how much we miss you!! (hey how bout sending Jon after the orthodontia work on JJ?? J L A & E Rich