Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Getting dropped off

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30344675/?GT1=43001
Please read the above article and then continue.
So when I was probably around 10 my sister and I
were arguing and my dad threatened us. Then we continued
to fight and before I knew what had happened I was dropped
off on the freeway overpass on 3300 s.( a very busy road here)
It was probably about 3 miles from my house. I remember
being so stressed because it was the middle of summer and
was so far from home. My dad had dropped us off before, but
never this far. A lady from my church drove by a couple minutes
later and asked "are you okay? what are you doing out here?"
I totally made up a story because I remember being super
embarassed. I now as a parent realize how my dad did that.
I sometimes wish I could just drop them off when they are
screaming, fighting, etc.

3 comments:

LaRae said...

I have six kids, and I threatened to stop the car and let them out numerous times which usually scared them into behaving, but as they grew older, they ignored my threats. So I decided I had to teach them that I meant business. Our family was driving on a remote freeway in Idaho when a couple of my boys were bickering and wouldn't quit so I exited the freeway at the next available off ramp, and told them to get out. They looked at me like I was crazy, but they could tell I was mad so they obeyed me and got out. I drove off, and found a place to park where they couldn't see me, but I could watch them. Surprisingly enough they didn't move, they just sat down on the side of the road. I waited about 20-30 minutes before I went back to see if they were ready to behave. They didn't quarrel for the remainder of our trip.

Now days you would have to be so careful using this method of discipline because of all the crazies running around.

By the way, I think we could be related. My maiden name is Stoker. My grandfather is Herman D. Stoker

linda said...

I totally remember that. do you remember when dad dropped us off by oakridge and we both ran home as fast as we could so we could lock the other person out? hahaha. I regularly want to kick my kids out of the car but I have yet to do it. Now that I know I could get arrested I just might go through with it...

Janee said...

I threaten to leave my kids at home all the time but haven't yet thought about dropping them on the side of the road. Sounds like a good idea.