Thursday, December 4, 2008

The gym


I usually get to see some entertaining
things at the gym and today was no exception.
I recognize most of the people there because the
same people are there at the same time as me.
Today there was a new guy and I quickly noticed
him. My sister told me about the new Obama
coins that she always sees ads for while at the gym
so I just took glances at the man while hoping to
see the fabulous Obama coins(found out they are
great 24K gold, wow). Anyway, this man looked
to be about 80 years old. I think he was new to the
gym scene because he was wearing a pair of jeans
with a button up shirt that was tucked in and a belt
to complete his gym attire. He seemed to be very picky
about his treadmill, he knew what he needed to
get the most out of his work out time. It was a bit like
Goldilocks the way he proceeded.
Treadmill #1 - Turns it on, scopes it out for 3 seconds
Treadmill #2 - Turns it on, scopes it out for 3 seconds
Treadmill, well you get the point.
Treadmill #9 proved to be the winner for the day. He
turns it on, gets all of the settings perfect, sets the speed
to 5 MPH and then tucks his hands into his pockets. Why
have I never thought to tuck my hands into my pockets
while working out, great idea though.
My mom makes really loud puffing sounds through her mouth
and shoots her hands into the air one at a time which
I think must really help the workout.

Just for a laugh you need to watch the link below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H62VUclX6mI
Even if you do not watch Amazing Race you should
find the humor in this guys coordination skills. He compares
military marching to the ballet.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Where Laura and I go the gym there is an old man just like that! He wears jeans and tucks in his shirt but even better (and more equipped) he wears his suspenders. This makes it so he is set for whatever work out he chooses. He does the treadmill just like you are saying and then he lifts weights. Now remember he is 80, frail to the touch so when he is lifting the smallest of weight it looks like his body is about to colapse but he still keeps at it.

Always good when you need a pick me up at the gym when you are huffing and puffing. You know if he can do it there has got to be a way that you can!